When our chakras are out of balance it is believed we will manifest various diseases, emotional disturbances and health conditions. So therefore it is important to exercise the chakras and bring them back into balance with special chakra balancing techniques.
Very much like a muscle will atrophy without continued stimulus - you should also approach your chakras with this same regard. It's also reported that people who have mastered the balancing of their chakras to have developed special abilities reffered to as siddhi's (some may simply call it phenomena) it should be noted that these exercises and balancing techniques should not be used solely for the development of these special 'powers'. It's just nice if you should happen to receive them.
The 7 Chakras:
- Muladhara : Root Chakra (ovaries/prostate) focuses on Survival
- Swadhisthana : Sacral Chakra (last bone in spinal cord, coccyx) focuses on Sexuality/Reproduction
- Manipura : Solar Plexus Chakra (navel area) focuses on Energy/Willpower
- Anahata : Heart Chakra (heart area) focuses on Decisions/Love/Compassions
- Vishuddha : Throat Chakra (throat and neck area) focuses on Truth/Creativity
- Ajna : Third Eye Chakra (pineal gland) focuses on Intuition/Dreaming
- Sahasrara : Crown Chakra (top of the head) focuses on Higher Consciousness/God
The "A" within each chant sounds like AH, drawn out and resonant. You want the chants to resonate from your belly each time you repeat it.
ROOT Chakra Chant: LAM
SACRAL Chakra Chant: VAM
NAVEL Chakra Chant: RAM
HEART Chakra Chant: YAM
THROAT Chakra Chant: HAM
3RD EYE Chakra Chant: OM/AUM
CROWN Chakra Chant: NG
When you are chanting, place your awareness on each location of the chakra as you work through the list. Think of the associated colours of each chakra as you do too (imagine a colourful wheel that spins in each location). Please also work on each chakra in that specific order. You cannot start from the crown and work down as you need to balance your base first. So use the appropriate structure.
When chanting - also extend the sound so it resonates and then press the tip of your tounge up to the roof of your mouth.
With diligent practice it will be very easy to balance your chakras. Bringing you back into alignment and making you feel more grounded. The act of meditation is mentally and physically refreshing so practice it often when you feel a little low of energy or mentally exhausted.